At the end of May, the New Hampshire Department of Education (Department) published its draft plan to comply with federal requirements under the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA). The Department is asking for public input on the plan by June 23rd.
In order to help facilitate public engagement and input on the plan, Reaching Higher NH partnered with the NH Department of Education to record a podcast that breaks down the state plan. You can download and listen to the full podcast, but if you are interested in specific parts of the state plan, Reaching Higher NH has broken down the conversation by topics, listed below.
You can skip to any section you want by listening to the podcast on Sound Cloud at https://soundcloud.com/reaching-higher-nh/essa-state-plan.
- Introductions – 00:00 – 03:00
- The Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA): 03:00 – 08:00
- ESSA vs. No Child Left Behind: 08:00 – 13:15
- Developing the draft state plan: 13:15 – 16:45
- Overview of the components of the state plan: 16:45 – 22:30
- Accountability system: 22:30 – 31:15
- Timeline: 31:15 – 33:10
- Federal funds in the state plan vs. federal funds not covered by the state plan: 33:10 – 38:10
- Students with learning disabilities: 38:10 – 40:20
- Educational activities NOT in the state plan (such as curriculum): 40:20 – 42:50
- The vision for how the state plan will help NH: 42:50 – 46:52
- Providing feedback on the plan: 47:07 – 51:22
You can access the podcast from the Reaching Higher NH website at https://reachinghighernh.org/2017/06/12/breaking-nhs-draft-plan-essa-department-education-center-assessment/.